Thursday, May 17, 2012

June 5 election recommendations

As a permanent absentee voter, I received my ballot for the June 5 election last week. I usually turn my ballot in last minute at the polls, but for those of you who are quicker to respond, I thought I would share with you my views of the items on the ballot.

First of all, this is the first time we have voted with the open primary system, where the top two vote-getters then square off in the General election, instead of having party nominees face each other in November. When Proposition 14 passed in June 2010, it changed the way primaries are run. As a registered Democrat, I received two ballots: one with no party label that has the State Senate, Assembly, Superior Court Judge, County Supervisor and Measures 28, 29 and B, and the other that is labeled "Democratic Party" with the President, County Committee, US Senator and US Representative.

My voting recommendations are below:

Yes on Measure B: this will help to fund Peralta Community College District which includes Berkeley City College, Merritt College, Laney College and College of Alameda. It will cost each property owner $48 per year for 8 years and will be collected with property taxes. The threshold required for this measure is two thirds majority. Supporting our community colleges which are so affordable and accessible to help folks extend their educational opportunities and improve their skills is very important.

Measure 28: Term limits. After watching the decline of compromise and rise of partisan politics in both the state and federal legislatures, I am not in favor of term limits. Short terms mean greater influence of lobbyists and staff, and less expertise and relationship building of politicians. As a result, I was not clear which way to vote on 28, as both sides claimed it would "fix" the problem to make term limits more effective. The yes vote will allow potential leadership to stay in one body longer and develop stronger positions there, compared with the current combined 14 year limit (6 in Assembly and 8 in the Senate). The yes side is also supported by organizations I support: labor unions, Democrats and Common Cause. Sounds like I am leaning YES.

Measure 29: I will vote yes to impose an additional $1 tax on a pack of cigarettes. The money will be used for medical research and the additional cost will discourage purchasing cigarettes particularly for teens who may balk at the higher cost.

Superior Court Judge: I met with Andrew Weiner who has an impressive background in the court system and innovative ideas about reducing costs and increasing compromise settlements through case management and mediation. I think he would be a terrific addition to the court. That said, the percentage of women on the bench is still only around 30% , and I think that Tara Flanagan, who is endorsed by the Democratic Party among others, would also be a good fit. You may only vote for one.

For the Democratic County Committee, I recommend the following people (you may vote for 9):
  1. Elizabeth Echols
  2. Kathy Neal
  3. Jesse Arreguin
  4. Bonnie Wheatley
  5. Beverly Greene
  6. Andy Kelley
  7. Joel Cohen
  8. Sharon Ball 
  9. Michael Barnett
For President, Barack Obama
For US Senator, Diane Feinstein (although there are 23 people running against her, and I haven't done my homework on them all)
For US Congresswoman, Barbara Lee!
For State Senator, Loni Hancock
For State Assemblymember, Nancy Skinner
For County Supervisor, Keith Carson