Saturday, December 1, 2012

My new job!

I have completed my personal transition and career change by taking a full time job with TransForm, a non-profit organization based in Oakland that does transportation policy and transit advocacy. In many ways, this is my dream position: working on transportation and land use issues that have been so important in my service to Emeryville. I work specifically on GreenTRIP, a certification program for new development projects that are low-traffic by design (like LEED is for energy efficiency). TransForm is also known for administering Safe Routes to Schools, a program to encourage kids and families to walk and bike to school. You may also be interested in our Great Communities Collaborative, which includes increased engagement of stakeholders in local land use planning.

With our climate concerns, with CA's focus on reducing Greenhouse Gas emissions, and with SB375 rolling out in our region, I am very excited to be working right in the thick of it. And my commute to Downtown Oakland by either bike or bus is great (especially when it is not raining)! Also, having the chance to put the skills I learned in my Masters of Public Policy program (Goldman School, graduated June 2012) to work is very satisfying. Please check out the organization, and let me know if your work is related to what we do or if you would like to learn more!

The other side of this transition is that my time for public service is less than I had before. I remain a strong and engaged council member (will end my year as Mayor on Tuesday, December 4, and have greatly enjoyed it), but I no longer have the luxury of time with my own children in the afternoons. As a result, I am reducing my evening commitments. I am still reachable by email and phone, but my responses might be a bit slower than before.

The positive side is that I have a whole new area of expertise that I bring to Emeryville, our transportation challenges, parking, and development projects. I look forward to working with you on these challenges moving forward.